Most private hire drivers are on the UberX & GrabCar (Economy) platforms. Some have chosen to provide a more premium service on UberExec & GrabPremium with better cars and higher fares.
Here is a comparison between these two kinds of services in terms of fares, incentives, demand and driving pattern over a typical 10 hour shift of driving.
- Average TPH: 2.0
- Trip Average Gross Fares: $10
- Total Average Gross Fares: $200
- Commission: 20%
- Locations: Islandwide
- Incentives: Variable
- Vehicle Types: 4 Door Sedan / SUV / MPV
UberExec/GrabCar Premium(10 Hours)
- Average TPH: 1.0 (Peak Hours Only)
- Trip Average Gross Fares: $30
- Total Average Gross Fares: $300
- Commission: 20% (Grab), 25% (Uber)
- Locations: CBD, Sentosa, Bukit Timah, Orchard, Changi Airport
- Incentives: Occassional
- Vehicle Types (Uber): BMW 5 Series, Audi A6, Mercedes E-Class and above
- Vehicle Types (Grab): BMW 3 Series, Audi A4, Mercedes C-Class and above. Some other makes such as Volkswagen Passat are also accepted.
Drivers spend most of their time waiting for trips on the UberExec & GrabPremium platforms while UberX & GrabCar drivers typically spend most of their time on the road driving. It is not uncommon to wait over an hour for a ping even in busy areas.
Driving distances are typically lower on UberExec & GrabPremium trips because the rates are much higher. The longest trips will be airport transfers to/from central areas but many trips are much shorter.
Both the rental costs and fuel consumption of premium vehicles are typically double that economy vehicles.
Many UberExec & GrabPremium drivers will get requests from passengers who arrange for a ride in advance. These jobs are typically cash jobs and most reasonable quotes are accepted which makes this a good source of additional income.